Yesterday I had massive performance troubles after going online with an Apache Reverse Proxy running on CentOS 6.9 for IBM Notes Traveler.
The customer has about 1.250 users and approx. 1.650 devices.
After some investigation and a great site, where the performance parameters are described very good:
( https://www.linode.com/docs/web-servers/apache-tips-and-tricks/tuning-your-apache-server )
I figured out, that the default configuration of the HTTP server was causing this issues, because the settings are much too low/high for this amount of devices. I did some modifications in the httpd.conf and now it´s working fine - feel free to use them:
# Timeout: The number of seconds before receives and sends time out.
# Default Value: Timeout 60
New Value: Timeout 10
# KeepAlive: Whether or not to allow persistent connections (more than
# one request per connection). Set to "Off" to deactivate.
# Default Value: KeepAlive Off
New Value: KeepAlive On
# MaxKeepAliveRequests: The maximum number of requests to allow
# during a persistent connection. Set to 0 to allow an unlimited amount.
# We recommend you leave this number high, for maximum performance.
# Default Value: MaxKeepAliveRequests 100
New Value: MaxKeepAliveRequests 50
# KeepAliveTimeout: Number of seconds to wait for the next request from the
# same client on the same connection.
# Default Value: KeepAliveTimeout 15
New Value: KeepAliveTimeout 5
# prefork MPM
# Default Value: StartServers 8
New Value: StartServers 1000
# Default Value: MinSpareServers 5
New Value: MinSpareServers 1000
# Default Value: MaxSpareServers 20
New Value: MaxSpareServers 1000
# Default Value: ServerLimit 500
New Value: ServerLimit 1000
New Value: MaxClients 1000
# Default Value: MaxRequestsPerChild 400
New Value: MaxRequestsPerChild 4000
# worker MPM
# Default Value: StartServers 4
New Value: StartServers 8
# Default Value: MaxClients 500
New Value: MaxClients 1000
# Default Value: MinSpareThreads 25
New Value: MinSpareThreads 100
# Default Value: MaxSpareThreads 75
New Value: MaxSpareThreads 750
New Value: ThreadsPerChild 25
# Default Value: MaxRequestsPerChild 0
New Value: MaxRequestsPerChild 0
# Enabled HTTP Compression
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/plain
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/xml
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/css
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xml
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xhtml+xml
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/rss+xml
If you also need the configuration flie for the Traveler site with the load balancing configuration, feel free to contact me...
IBM Notes Traveler 22.214.171.124 has the new feature to access the users mail server with the same rights as the user. But if you forget to add the IBM Notes Traveler server to the field "Trusted Servers" in the server document of the Mail Server, you receive the following errors:
An exception occurred when opening database <MailServerPath>/user.nsf using user shortname CN=John Doe /O=IBM in order to retrieve changed documents. Exception information: Throw: TASK_PROFILE_OPEN_DB
*** Content Adapter Exception *** ERROR 23 (ERR_DATABASE_ERROR) --- Debug Info ------------: Database cannot be opened with status of 0x17eb. Server=<MailServerPath>database=mail/user.nsf
INFO Mntr-0a78[Master]John Doe dna.cpp.jniDoesDatabaseExist#8427 Internal Error: Debug Data: Could not open Database='mail/jdoe.nsf' on server=<MailServer>' PathName='<MailFilePath>' for user 'CN=John Doe /O=IBM'. Error(17eb)=You are not listed as a trusted server
You can easily get rid of those errors either by:
- disable the new feature by setting the following NOTES.INI entry on the IBM Notes Traveler Server
- Add the IBM Notes Traveler Server to the "Trusted Servers" field of the Mail Server in the second tab "Security"
Ephox Textbox.io 2.2 provides the latest rich text editing capabilities seamlessly integrated into IBM Connections™. Robust and reliable performance across browser platforms and devices sets Ephox Textbox.io apart from other editors. Ephox Textbox.io 2.2 is available for new users of Connections V5.5 and V6.0 as well as users who have active subscriptions.
Features of TextBox.io 2.2
- Rich content embedding when a URL is typed or pasted on a blank line. Links to rich content are replaced with embedded content when using the new Link Embed option in Textbox.io SDK with functionality preserved. Supported media:
- Social media and other sharable content (for example, YouTube, Instagram, Flickr).
- Image URLs for JGP, PNG, and GIF files are converted to images.
- Video URLs for MP4 files are converted to videos.
- Other content links shown as a summary card.
- Nested tables are now supported.
- Table cells can now be split into columns or rows.
- Multiple columns or rows can be deleted at the same time.
- Tab and shift tab can now be used to adjust list indent.
- Improved reliability of image resize operations, and interaction with images during upload.
- Insert Link dialog with a dropdown arrow for better discovery of document target options.
- Link text can now be updated in the edit link dialog.
- Information about links that failed validation is now shown on the edit link dialog.
- Improved performance for large documents in code view.
Ephox EditLive! 2.5.1, 2.5.3, 2.5.4, and 9.11 will no longer be supported after June 27, 2018, for Connections users. Connection users can use Ephox Textbox.io as the rich text editor.
Ephox Textbox.io 2.2 can be downloaded from IBM® Fix Central. It is available to users of Connections with active subscriptions
Today I received a call from a customer where the inbox did not display any content at some users - but only in the Notes client, not in iNotes !!
After some investigations I remembered, that I had this issue some months ago and found the following IBM technote:
So if you create a folder with and the first character of the folder is a space, this folder is displayed instead of the inbox and it seems, that the inbox is empty.
Collaboration Solutions with IBM and Cisco: IBM Connections Cloud enterprise social network, cloud-based email, and calendaring solutions combine with communication capabilities of Cisco to redefine everyday work
Today IBM announced the combination of the IBM Collaboration Solutions from the IBM Cloud with Cisco.
Collaboration solutions from IBM® and Cisco bring together the key applications that workers need to be productive and effective: video, voice, unified communications, enterprise social networks, team collaboration, email, and calendar offerings. With the integration of IBM Connections Cloud and Cisco communication capabilities, modern workers can now communicate and collaborate easily across their teams, with their partners, and with their customers. This powerful combination makes information and trained specialists easier to find and creates more personal and effective collaboration.
Collaboration solutions from IBM and Cisco include integrations between:
- IBM Verse™ email and calendar
- IBM Connections™ enterprise social network
- Cisco Spark Business Messaging and Basic Meetings
- Cisco Spark Business Messaging, Basic Meetings, and Cloud Advanced Meetings
- Cisco WebEx Conferencing Audio Toll
- Cisco WebEx Conferencing Audio Toll Plus
- Cisco WebEx Conferencing Audio Toll Plus International